This course is the starting point on your safeguarding and child protection learning journey. It also serves as a good refresher for an introduction to the essentials of safeguarding and child protection.
You will gain an understanding of the impact of child abuse and neglect, along with the knowledge of what you can do to prevent and minimise the risk of harm to our tamariki (children).
You will gain confidence in the actions you need to take when you are worried about tamariki. This knowledge is essential for everyone who comes into contact with tamariki and rangatahi (young people) through work, voluntary or leisure activities.What will I learn?
• How prevalent child abuse and neglect is in New Zealand.
• How to recognise and confidently respond to signs of abuse and neglect.
• The vital role Safeguarding
and Child Protection Policies
play in keeping children safe.
• To understand and navigate the challenges which may impede helping a child.
• Relevant legislation and guidance established to protect children.Who is this course for?
Anyone who works directly or indirectly with children or young families in either a professional or volunteer capacity. Sectors which have found this course beneficial include (but is not limited to):
• Early Childhood Education
• Education Providers – primary, intermediate & secondary schools
• Specialist Education – learning support schools
• Healthcare – doctors, nurses, therapists etc
• Faith Groups
• Social Service ProvidersCOURSE ACCESS: 30 daysGroup training and content warning
It is not recommended to complete this eLearning in a group environment as some course content may be triggering for individuals who may have experienced childhood trauma. We recommend wearing headphones. To ensure your wellbeing, trigger warnings are given throughout our course with support guidance provided.What do our learners say?
- "I've already recommended it to colleagues as it is very relevant and easy to use for professional development."
- "Online was wonderful for quick effective professional development, I liked the ease of being in control of absorbing content in an uninterrupted course that was at my own time frame."
- "Very informative, interesting, well researched and very applicable to my profession as a teacher. I learnt a lot."
- "The course is so accessible, convenient to my busy life. I loved being able to pick it up when I was available to do so, and also at my leisure . . . I found it ever so interesting, raw and moving. I am forever changed thanks to the powerful content in this empowering course. I would be happy to do the refresher course each year."