Abuse and neglect changes childhood. This course is essential for everyone who works with our tamariki in the Early Childhood Education sector. You will gain an understanding into the impact of abuse and neglect including family violence and sexual violence on tamariki, knowing what you can do to help prevent it happening and what to do when you are worried about a tamaiti. As an early childhood worker you come into contact with tamariki and whānau every day. You need to be aware of the signs of abuse and neglect as well as knowing what to do should you encounter a child protection concern.
What will I learn?
• Why protecting tamariki from abuse and neglect is important.
• Understand the “Seven Rs” framework.
• Your responsibilities to safeguard, protect and support the wellbeing of tamariki.
• The importance of a whole organisational commitment.
• The vital role safeguarding and child protection policies play in keeping children safe.
• How to recognise the signs, symptoms and behaviours of child abuse and neglect.
• How to respond and report appropriately to concerns, including where to go for help and reporting to statutory agencies.
Who is this course for?
Parents, caregivers and anyone working with whānau and tamariki in the Early Childhood sector. Whether your safeguarding journey is just starting, part way or near completion.
COURSE ACCESS: 30 days
What do our learners say?
- "This learning content gave some great perspectives on child protection and how abuse can look different in so many ways. I learnt a lot and it has really opened my eyes to more that goes on in my classroom."
- "It was well presented, easy to follow in our own time, especially for speakers of other languages, who may need a little extra time to engage fully with the content. Helpful and well designed and explained in bite size pieces."
- "This was a great online course! The content and examples were extremely relevant and useful. The delivery and quizzes were a great part of the course!"